Monday, December 31, 2012

Frank Mendoza - A Devoted Husband - Gone, but never forgotten

Frank Mendoza passed away this past Thursday.

Seems to me we are losing way too many good men!

My brother, Joel Rutherford, wrote this about Frank:

I want to honor my stepdad - Francisco 'Frank' Rosendo Mendoza. He died on Thursday, December 27, at the age of 85. Although married to my mom for over twenty years, close to half that time was while she had Alzheimer's. 

Frank was an artist, a WWII Navy veteran (served on the USS Goodhue transport ship and came under kamikaze attack), and worked his way from grunt laborer to Plant Manager at Oklahoma Steel Castings (dirty, hot, dangerous labor).


His greatest act, IMO, was how loving and gentle he was with my Mama. Through her confusion and irrationality and fear, he always called her 'Baby' and caressed her face. For the last three years, he fed her baby food in a hospital bed in the middle of their living room. His own health suffered greatly due to keeping his vow of 'for better or worse, in sickness and in health'.


Thankful! - I could not have asked for anybody to have loved my mom more.


Joel, I could not say it better!

I would add that for the last 7 or 8 years of the 16 years or more that my mom was alive, although she was unable to respond or maybe even understand, Frank would every night just before he went to sleep, look mom right in the face, and tell her "You are Jean Mendoza. I am your husband, Frank. We have been married ... (exactly how many years, months and days up till that time) ... and I love you." Then he would give her a little kiss. 

I pray God would make me and more men that kind of husband to their wives!

Love in Christ Jesus,

Jim

1 comment:

pjsr said...

Great addition! I did not know that last part.
- Joel